The mission of the Research Work Group is to train and empower the next generation of public health leaders in applying research skills learned in the classroom to a real-world context.
The specific goals of this workgroup are as follows:
- To build research capacity by supporting research, research training, and professional development of ambassadors enabling their contribution to public health research.
- To plan, coordinate, and/or assist SPH Faculty, staff, preceptor or program coordinator in the initiation of a research study protocol
- To plan, implement, maintain and/or assist with the data collection and analysis in support of a research protocol or project; may coordinate (with assistance or approval from faculty/staff/preceptor/program coordinator) the collection and analysis of research data
- To recruit, instruct, and/or coodrinate research surbjects and/or volunteers as appropriate to specific objectives, scope of work and with approval from project lead (SPH Faculty, Staff, Preceptor or Program Coordinator)
- To prepare periodic, ad-hoc, or manuscripts as required by the SPH Faculty, staff, preceptor or program coordinator
- To perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including supports from other programs or projects led b by an SPH Faculty, staff, preceptor or program coordinator.
Participation is based on:
- Attending monthly work group meetings (1 per month)
- Completing the following Activities/Tasks (Select 1 to complete)
- Identification of Health & Wellness Resources via an excel spreadsheet to be uploaded to My Health Finder
- Participation in a community-based or research project led by an SPH Faculty, staff, preceptor, program coordinator or you may elect to work solely as a group of ambassadors (maximum group size is 4).
- Conduct Secondary Data Analysis using public health data available or data provided to you by an SPH Faculty, staff, preceptor or program coordinator (i.e. CDC Wonder Data Set, BRFSS and etc.)
- Any community-based or research project other than secondary data anaysis (i.e. systematic review, scoping review, developing a survey or etc.)
Products to be submitted/produced*
- A 2-3 minute Testimonial Video about your experiences as a Research Ambassador (to be posted on the website)
And 1 of these:
- 3-4 page journal entry detailing summation of activities performed in a research or community project
- 2 Excel Spreadsheet(s) of collected and identified Health & Wellness resources to be uploaded to MyHealth Finder
- Poster Presentation or Abstract
- Draft of a policy brief, program or publishable manuscript
*All items MUST be submitted by April 30th of the Spring Semester.