The mission of the Research workroup is to train and empower the next generation of public health leaders in applying research skills learned in the classroom to a real-world context.
The specific goals of this workgroup are as follows:
- To build research capacity by supporting research, research training, and professional development of ambassadors enabling their contribution to public health research.
- To plan, coordinate, and/or assist SPH faculty, staff, preceptors or program coordinators in the initiation of a research study protocol
- To plan, implement, maintain and/or assist with the data collection and analysis in support of a research protocol or project; may coordinate (with assistance or approval from faculty/staff/preceptor/program coordinator) the collection and analysis of research data
- To recruit, instruct, and/or coodrinate research surbjects and/or volunteers as appropriate to specific objectives, scope of work and with approval from project lead (SPH faculty, staff, preceptor or program coordinator)
- To prepare periodic, ad-hoc, or manuscripts as required by SPH faculty, staff, preceptors or program coordinators
- To perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including supports from other programs or projects led by SPH faculty, staff, preceptors or program coordinators.
Participation is based on:
- Attending monthly work group meetings (One per month)
- Completing the following activities/tasks (Select one to complete)
- Identification of Health & Wellness resources via an excel spreadsheet to be uploaded to My Health Finder
- Conduction of secondary data analysis using public health data available or provided by SPH faculty, staff, preceptors or program coordinators (i.e. BRFSS, CDC Wonder Data Set and etc.)
- Conduction of a systematic review and/or meta-analysis
- Conduction of a community-based research project different from above named options (other research project).
Products to be submitted/produced*
- A two to three minute Testimonial Video about your experiences as a Research Ambassador (to be posted on the website). This is only done by ambassadors who have not completed the self-testimonial video. For those who have served as an ambassador in a previous year and completed a video, then, he or she does not have to complete another video unless the ambassador has switched their primary workgroup or is a new ambassador for the current year. (i.e. An ambassador who was in the Health Promotion & Communication workgroup during the 2019-2020 school year but switched to Research workgroup during the 2020-2021 school year).
And one of these:
- Three to four page journal entry detailing summation of activities performed in a research or community project
- Two Excel Spreadsheet(s) of collected and identified Health & Wellness resources to be uploaded to MyHealth Finder
- Poster Presentation or Abstract
- Systematic Review Protocol
- Secondary Data Analysis Plan
- Draft of a policy brief, program or publishable manuscript
- Powerpoint presentation of Research Project
*All items MUST be submitted by April 30 of the spring semester.