Student Performance

The School of Public Health's has several policies regarding student performance and their continued enrollment with the school.

Unsatisfactory Grades (D or F) Earned by SPH Master Degree Students

A student receiving either a “D” or an “F” in a graduate course is viewed as unsatisfactory for SPH graduate students.  Students are required to receive a “C” or better on all courses on their official degree plan.  Students receiving either a “D” or an “F” on a required course will be required to retake the course in its entirety.  A student must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to graduate.


In the event of a student earning either a “D” or an “F” in a course:

      1. The student must officially enroll in and complete the deficient course in its entirety.   

      2. The student will be required to get a “C” in the course before satisfactorily completing the course of study.

      3. If the student receives either a “D” or an “F” in an elective course, the student may elect to remove the course from his/her degree plan with the approval of the student’s advisor, department head and the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.  In such a case, the failed course (representing either a D or an F) will not be included in the final calculation of the student’s degree plan GPA.   If the student or the student’s advisor elects to not remove the course from the student’s degree plan, then the student will be allowed to retake the course.  Ultimately, the student will be required to receive a “C” in the course if it remains on the degree plan (see above).

Required Form   Standard Working Degree Plan (in the event an elective course is removed from the student’s official degree plan)


Awarding of Incomplete Grades

A student receiving a temporary grade of “I” (incomplete)  at the end of the semester or summer term indicates that the student has completed a majority of the course with the exception of an examination or other assignment.  A request for an “I” grade should be student-initiated; however, if appropriate the request may be initiated by the instructor on the student’s behalf.  The instructor should only give this grade when the deficiency is due to an authorized absence or other cause beyond the student’s control.  If the incomplete work is not completed by the specified deadline (see below), or if the student enrolls in the course again, the incomplete grade will be changed automatically to an “F” on the student’s transcript.


      1. The instructor must submit the Request for Incomplete Grade form to the Office of Student Affairs (along with the class final grade report).  The form must include a justification for the request, specifications of assignments to be completed, and approval signatures of the student and the instructor. 

      2. The student (or instructor) secures additional approval from the student’s academic advisor, the student’s department head, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. 

All remaining work outlined on the request form must be completed by the last class day of the next academic session in which the student is enrolled.

Required Form   Request for Incomplete form

Student Reinstatement Policy

A student who has not been enrolled in the School of Public Health due to an unapproved leave of absence or withdrawal which has extended beyond one calendar year (12 months) from the initiation of the withdrawal or leave of absence must reapply to the School of Public Health to be considered for enrollment.  Students must meet all the application criteria and posted deadlines with the exception of the application fee and new letters of recommendation to be considered for reinstatement.  This includes original transcripts if further education occurred during the absence.  Application for reinstatement does not guarantee admission.


Satisfactory Academic Progress 

 Academic advising provides a structure within which the student’s Advisor and Departmental Chair can address issues and problems related to the student’s academic performance.  To maintain good academic standing and to be eligible for graduation or completion of a Certificate Program, SPH students must maintain a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA in the SPH curriculum, and they must not have any grades of D, F, or U on any course on their degree plan.  To replace deficient grades from the transcript for the purpose of calculating the student GPA, the student must repeat the course at the SPH.  If a student fails to attain or maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA, then the student is placed on academic probation.

The SPH Office of Student Affairs will monitor students for academic probation status.  Once the Department Chair and Advisor receives notification from the Office of Student Affairs that a student has been placed on probationary status, the Advisor will schedule a meeting with the student to discuss the problem(s) and will design a plan and timetable for remediation.  The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will evaluate all academic probation students at the end of each semester and take appropriate action.  Students failing to meet the terms of their remediation plan will dismissed from the program.

Probation after Enrollment

If a degree seeking student’s overall GPA falls below a 3.0 any given semester the student will automatically be placed on probation.  A student unable to raise his/her cumulative GPA to a 3.0 or greater within the remediation timeframe will be dismissed from the degree program.  The student will be required to raise their cumulative GPA to a 3.0 by the close of the next enrolled semester.  A student must replace any grades of C in a core course, and D, F, or U on any other degree plan course in the remediation time frame approved by the student’s Advisor, Departmental Chair and Academic Affairs.     


      1. At the conclusion of each semester, Department Heads are required to: 

          • Review the records of any departmental students on probation (including the previous semester’s record), after receiving report from Registrar via Student Affairs.

          • For students placed on probation Department Heads will obtain from the student’s advisor written documentation of a meeting with the student to discuss the problem(s) which includes the plan and timetable for remediation.  The Department Head will provide written documentation of approval of the plan to the Office of Academic Affairs & Student Affairs within one week of receiving probation report, using the letter template for probation.

      2. Students, their academic advisors and their department heads will be notified by email of approval or denial of the recommended plan by Academic Affairs.  The Office of Student Affairs will place the outcome remediation plan or dismissal letter in the student file.

      3. Students placed on probation will receive a probation letter outlining terms of probation via email.

Dismissal from the Program

A process for dismissal from the School will be instituted for students who are performing below school standards.  A recommendation for dismissal will be proposed by the Department Head, Academic Affairs, and Advisor if any of the following conditions arise:

      1. A student refuses to accept the advice and guidance of the student’s Advisory Committee in matters of remediation of academic probation; and/or

      2. A student who has been placed on academic probation does not respond adequately or in a timely manner to the recommendations; and/or

      3. A student has repeated failures documented in any type of course, including thesis or dissertation work; and/or

      4. Academic probation is invoked a second time; and/or

      5. A student does not demonstrate satisfactory progress in thesis or dissertation work as determined by the thesis/dissertation advisory committee; and/or

      6. A student does not demonstrate satisfactory progress may be dismissed from the school.

Students who have been dismissed from the School for unsatisfactory progress may be evaluated for readmission.  Readmission to the degree program must follow general readmission policies.  Students seeking readmission should contact the Office of Student Affairs for details regarding necessary application documents and procedures.

Required Form   Academic Probation Remediation Plan